JULY 9, 1980 - SEPTEMBER 1, 2005

A 2003 graduate of the United States Military Academy, 1LT Derek S. Hines, 25, died on September 1, 2005, in Baylough, Afghanistan. His unit was conducting security operations and came under attack by enemy forces using small arms fire. Even after he had been fatally shot, 1LT Hines continued to fire at the insurgents. Derek showed that same fortitude in everything he did.

Growing up in Amesbury and Newburyport, Massachusetts, he attended Immaculate Conception School until the fourth grade. He went to the Nock Middle school through eighth grade at which point he decided to attend St. John’s Prep School in Danvers, MA.

Derek thrived at St. John’s both academically and athletically. He was a four year starter on the varsity hockey team and a three year starter on the lacrosse team. He participated in a number of service projects at St. John’s distinguishing himself amongst his peers. He graduated as a member of the National Honor Society having made the honor roll through most of his career at St. John’s. In the spring of 1999 Derek made the difficult decision to attend the United States Military Academy.

At West Point Derek encountered many of the typical hardships felt by new students. He did not use the hardships as an excuse, however. Derek used any setback as motivation to eventually succeed. He succeeded in the classroom and as a member of the hockey team. By his senior year Derek was captain of a team that at one point he wasn’t sure if he would make. All who knew Derek were not surprised. He possessed the inherent ability to triumph even though odds might be against him. He was strong in every sense of the word.

September 11, 2001 changed the complexion of the world for everyone, especially those in the military. This did not deter Derek from seeking positions that might put him in harm’s way. Upon graduation from West Point, Derek continued his training with completion of Ranger and Airborne School after briefly serving as the Graduate Assitant to the Army hockey team.

Soon after completing the rigorous test of Ranger School, Derek joined the 173rd Airborne Division in Vicenza, Italy before being deployed to his unit in Afghanistan. After arriving in Afghanistan Derek joined his unit in their attempt to eradicate the country of terrorists and insurgents.

Derek is survived by his parents, Steve and Susan, and his younger siblings Michael, Ashley, and Trevor.